• Ulysses Park
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Union Reservoir #1 & #2
    Claimants in 1936 were Thomas S. Hayden Realty and Alice G. Henry. The reservoirs were filled from Clear Creek via Agricultural Ditch. Construction began February 11, 1889....More->
  • United Methodist Church of Evergreen
    The congregation was established in 1971 by the organizing pastor, Reverend Harold A. Raines, Jr. The two-story wood frame building completed in 1974 features an octagonal sanctuary with a two-stor...More->
  • United States Glazed Brick & Pottery
    What came to be known as the United States Glazed Brick & Pottery plant was started in the defunct Geijsbeek Pottery plant on May 4, 1909 under the leadership of J.F. Hunt and management of William Ku...More->
  • Upper Church Ditch
    Water was diverted from the north bank of Coal Creek, near the mouth of the Coal Creek Canyon and flowing to Upper Church Ditch in Section 3. The Church's properties show on Willit's "1899 Farm Map."...More->
  • Upper Church Lake
    Located in Water District #7, this lake is filled with water diverted from Coal Creek. Earliest appropriation May 20, 1870, and was built by George H. Church, farmer and rancher in the area....More->
  • Upper Long Lake
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Upper Ralston Elementary School
    Upper Ralston Elementary School was a brick schoolhouse in District No. 7 that existed under various names from 1870 until 1904. So as not to confuse this school with Ralston Crossing School in Distri...More->
  • Upper Twin Lake
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • UP Shaft Mine
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Uranium Queen Mine
    This uranium mine was owned and operated by the Morrison Uranium Co. Consisted of a 115-foot tunnel....More->
  • Urmston
    The origin of the name is unknown, but it was known as such before being renamed Shaffers Crossing....More->
  • Urmston School
    It was built in 1886, south of Bradford Junction and operated until the Elk Creek School was built at Shaffers Crossing in the 1920s. In 1936 a new brick schoolhouse was built near the old location...More->
  • Ute Meadows Elementary School
    This school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It opened August 19, 1987 for grades K-6 with a capacity of 650. It was named for the Ute Indian Tribe that once lived in this area....More->
  • Vaca Lake
    Since the gold rush days, persons have used North Table Mountain for grazing purposes, for herds ranging from sheep to cattle. This may explain this name, which is Spanish for "cow." Vaca Lake is a ...More->
  • Valley Addition
    B.F. Wadsworth subdivided this land April 2, 1890. This was an area platted into acreages for small farm and residential living. It has since been replatted and is now mostly commercial....More->
  • Valley Station
    Valley Station is a descriptive name. The station was located in the "Bottoms" or in the valley between Wheat Ridge and Arvada....More->
  • Van Arsdale Elementary School
    This school was named for Wayne Van Asrdale, who served on the Jefferson County R-1 School Board from 1958- 1971. The school was built in 1994....More->
  • Van Bibber Creek
    This creek was named for Isaac Van Bibber, whose farm was in the vicinity of the creek in 1859. When the creek reached Arvada, it was called Dry Creek because there was little water left when it join...More->
  • Van Bibber Creek Site
    Ancient man's living quarters unearthed. Three cultural zones representing time spans ranging from 190 B.C. through A.D. 900. History, natural setting and excavation studied in detail. Tributary (left...More->
  • Van Bibber Farm
    A Colorado Argonaut, Isaac Van Bibber, was in business with David McCarty on Larimer Street in 1859. By June 5, 1859, Isaac Vanbiber entered a farm claim of 160 acres, which was not filed for record...More->
  • Vanover Park
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Van Tuyl House
    Designed by architect John C. Wright in 1905, it is one of the few houses in Golden that can be classed as truly Colonial architecture....More->
  • Vasa Park
    Swedish immigrants had an organization called "Vasa Order in America" named for the Swedish King Gustaf Vasa, who was the "George Washington of Sweden." This was a very important social center for th...More->
  • Vasquez Fork
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Vasquez River
    Vasquez River is another name used for Vasquez Fork (Clear Creek) during the gold rush of 1859-60s....More->
  • Vasquez School
    Founded as District #32, 1883. Land donated by James A. Lewis and Jacob H. Brown "for school purposes only". Minutes of District #32 in 1901 name abruptly became "Fruitdale" as community was called, n...More->
  • Vermillion Ranch
    Miss Anne Vermillion owned and operated the 1,000-acre ranch around 1900, living in a large log house which stood until 1970. It was torn down and rebuilt in the Boulder area, the logs having been num...More->
  • Vernella Villa
    This two-story log structure was built in 1890. Vern and Ella Smith purchased the property and registered it in 1937 as "Vernella Villa."...More->
  • Vinall Farm
    This 1 1/2 story, 1,088 square foot wood frame bungalow was built in 1929. The house has a cross-section gabled roof built on a square plan on a brick foundation....More->
  • Virginia Mine
    This coal mine operated in the Foothills Coal Field from 1933 to 1939. Total mines production was 40,947 tons and was operated by Littleton Coal Company from 1933 to 1936, and the Jefferson Coal Comp...More->
  • Vivian Elementary School
    Built in 1955. Named for John F Vivian, who was Mayor of Golden (1901-1909) and six United States Presidents named him to various positions. John C Vivian, his son (Colorado Governor) sold the land fo...More->
  • Wadsworth Boulevard
    A mid-section highway runs north and south through Arvada and is named for Benjamin Franklin Wadsworth, one of Arvada's founding fathers. This name was preceded in 1870 by Centre Street, Sheridan Aven...More->
  • Wadsworth By-pass
    Originally, this was the tramway roadbed in 1904. Earth was dug out beneath Grandview, Wadsworth, and the Colorado Central Railroad tracks to make way for the Denver & Northwestern Railroad and the Ye...More->
  • Wadsworth Ditch
    Located in Water District #7, its water is diverted from Clear Creek via Slough Ditch. Claimants in 1884 were B.F. Wadsworth, M. E. Graves, H, Goodell, D.N. Ostrander and James Bond. Later some of th...More->
  • Wadsworth & Graves Ditch
    Located in Water District #7, it has priorities date from July 10, 1862. Claimants in 1884 were B.F. Wadsworth and M.E. Graves. Mary Emma, Wadsworth's daughter, married John Palmer Graves, son of...More->
  • Wadsworth House
    Benjamin Franklin Wadsworth settled in Empire, Colorado in 1861 and engaged in the Union District mining claims for eight years. He and his family relocated at Ralston Point in 1869 where he had previ...More->
  • Wadsworth Park
    The property for Wadsworth Park was leased to North Jeffco for 99 years by the City of Arvada on February 1, 1958. Homeowners and representatives of North Arvada Improvement Association met to discuss...More->
  • Wadsworth School
    The first Wadsworth School in District No. 2 was built c. 1869 This was a small frame building called a "cabin." By 1882 the cabin was too small and a new brick building on the same site was built. Th...More->
  • Wagner Elementary School
    Wagner school in District No. 43 was named for Karl Wagner who deeded the land on which the school was built, in 1891. During the construction of Standley Lake the school was moved to the above locati...More->
  • Wah Keeney Park
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Walker Branch Park
    Walker/Branch Park was dedicated August 17, 1996. Members of the Walker and Brach family pushed to have the park dedicated after their relatives, Randy Walker and Michael Branch who drowned in a near...More->
  • Walker Castle
    These ruins were intended to be the summer White House for the United States President. Construction was started in 1919 by John Brisben Walker, former editor of “Cosmopolitan,” and a giant land owne...More->
  • Walker, John Brisban House
    Built ca. 1900. John lived there while he built his home up on top of Mt. Falcon. His wife is buried a short distance from the house in a spot where she loved to sit and look over to the Red Rocks P...More->
  • Wallace Village
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Wall Farm
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Wall Street
    Wall Street appears to have been named for David K. Wall, famous pioneer farmer in early-day Golden. It was also a financial backbone for Golden, being the route along which a smelter, paper mill, 2 ...More->
  • Walnut Creek
    Inquiries produced no explanation for the origination of the name....More->
  • Wandcrest Subdivision
    Accessible from Hwy. 285 on Wandcrest Road west of Pine Junction intersection for several miles through Park County until it returns to Jefferson County. Developed in the 1920s in three plats by Carl ...More->
  • Wannamaker Ditch
    Located in Water District #7, it has priority No. 6 (June 1, 1860). Water was diverted from the north bank of Clear Creek. Claimants in 1884 were J. E. Wannamaker and Joseph Standley. Both were proper...More->
  • Ward #1
    Claimant in 1936 was John P. Haines, Executor for the estate of Julia Merritt. It was filled from Clear Creek via Agricultural Ditch. It was constructed in 1882 and enlarged in 1888....More->
  • Ward Ditch
    Ward Ditch starts at Smith Lake and circles around high ground across Kipling and Morrison Road towards Bear Creek....More->
  • Warder Elementary School
    This R-1 District school was built in 1973. It was named for Zinna Warder, a first grade teacher and later principal of Lawrence Elementary School for 10 years....More->
  • Ward Reservoir No. 1
    Ward Reservoir No. 1 lies on the grounds of Green Gables Country Club. It is sometimes also called Hidden Lake and is fed by Ward Ditch. This and Ward Reservoir No. 2 are named after William Ward, a...More->
  • Ward Road Baptist Church
    Prospective members met at Vanderhoof Elementary School in 1977. The church was built in 1978. Stuart McChesney was the first pastor....More->
  • Warren Peak
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Warrior Canal
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Washington Heights School
    One of the oldest schools in the city, now owned by the Foothills Recreation since 1965 for a craft center. It was built in 1898 on land donated by Colorado U. S. Senator Thomas Patterson. Now closed ...More->
  • Water Tank
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Water Tank House
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Waterton Pit
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Watson Gulch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Weaver Creek
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Weaver Gulch
    Weaver Creek flows northeastward into Kendall Reservoir near Bear Creek School. Its source is somewhere on the Indian Hills quad map. While crossing west Quincy Avenue, leaving the Morrison Quad map...More->
  • Webber, Milton J. Home
    Milton J. (Ben) Webber purchased property at 6660 Simms Street for his home and for Broadview Nursery in 1913. The acreage was originally homesteaded in 1869 by John Clark who built a one and one-half...More->
  • Webber, Milton J. House
    The Ben Webbers bought the Hunt Nursery in August of 1913. The property was originally homesteaded by John Clark in 1869. Clark had built a one and a half story log cabin and had started an apple or...More->
  • Weber Elementary School
    This R-l District School was built in 1972. It was named for Joseph B. Weber, coach and teacher for Arvada High School from 1931-1967....More->
  • Webster Street
    Streets were named for pioneers who were settlers of Arvada in the early days. With the expansion of the community, Arvada voted in favor of the changes made by Jefferson County in 1949. This stre...More->
  • Weir Gulch
    Weir Gulch originates in the area of Garrison Street and Mississippi Avenue. Here a ditch connects it with Agricultural Ditch toward the west. Weir Gulch runs northeast toward Kountze Lake and passe...More->
  • Welch Coal Mine
    Coal mine owned by C.C. Welch had a 216-foot shaft in 1878. 1881 daily production averaged 370 tons....More->
  • Welch Ditch
    The Welch Ditch diverts water from Clear Creek, west of Golden. It is known as a subsidiary of the Agricultural Ditch and Reservoir Company....More->
  • Welchester Elementary School
    Built in 1960-61. Named after John Clark Welch, a Golden pioneer and one of the founders of the Colorado School of Mines. Six classrooms and library were added in 1964....More->
  • Welch Mine
    1/26/1884, the Welch Mine is a copper mine with leaves of pure copper found adhering to the roof in large flakes and frequently filling or hanging from little cracks in the wall. The vein is located ...More->
  • Welch Residence
    Charles Clark Welch moved to Colorado in 1860 to work in placer mining. Welch was a leading force in the extension of Colorado railroads. In 1872 he was elected to the Colorado Territorial Legisla...More->
  • Wellington Lake
    Originally, a Mr. Dickinson owned the land and operated a hotel on the lake. His son-in-law, Mr. Mendenhall, lived on the place and if there was a Mendenhall School here, it was probably for children...More->
  • West 38th Avenue
    West 38th Avenue enters Wheat Ridge at Sheridan Blvd. and continues west to Youngfield Street where it ends. It is a main artery of transportation in the city, mostly commercial to Kipling Street. T...More->
  • West 44th Avenue
    The road is a main artery of transportation, adjacent on the south to I-70. It borders Lakeside Amusement Park, the town of Mountain View, shopping centers, the I-70 truck shop, and several entries i...More->
  • West 52nd Avenue
    From Sheridan Boulevard west to Garrison Street, this avenue was known as College Avenue because it terminated in Denver at Regis College. From Carr Street to Garrison Street it was called Upper Colle...More->
  • West 57th Avenue
    It was not until 1949 that West 57th Avenue was named by the revision of the Jefferson County street names. Prior to that time, this street was named Adelaide Avenue in 1870 and later became Church St...More->
  • West 58th Avenue
    Elihu Evans and his brother, Oliver, joined an oxen drawn wagon train from Pennsylvania to Arvada in the 1860s. Elihu homesteaded 160 acres and built a house on the road named for him in 1867. He inve...More->
  • West 82nd Avenue
    Alfred Tucker operated the Tucker Gulch toll road up Golden Gate Canyon to Blackhawk and Central City in the 1860s. He gave the Tramway Company the right-of-way to place Tucker Station on his property...More->
  • Westall Monument
    Billy Westall, an engineer on the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad, was killed August 28, 1898 when the engine hit a rock slide and overturned. The granite monument was placed near the site of th...More->
  • Westgate Park
    This park has baseball and soccer fields, basketball court, playground, walking trails and open play area....More->
  • West House
    Leander Ryan West emigrated from Canada to Ralston Creek. Here he purchased 80 acres in 1972. A new house was completed for the family in 1883 at 7000 Indiana Street. Leander planted half of his acrea...More->
  • West, John/Blakelee House
    In 1867, John West built this 1 1/2 story log cabin with a one room shed addition. John West came to Colorado after serving in the Union Army with his friend Billy Williams. The following year West...More->
  • Westlake Park
    Westlake is a naturalistic and wild-life City Park, the only one of its kind in Arvada. It includes Juniper trees, an Oak grove, berry and fruit trees, and is a birdhouse shelter. This four-acre park ...More->
  • West Lake Pit
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Westland Baptist Church
    The membership was founded in 1953, and moved to the new church in 1969. Through the years, they have enlarged to a school campus and facilities....More->
  • West Meadows Golf Course
    This golf course was built with Jefferson County Open Space funds and is managed by Foothills Metropolitan Recreation and Park District....More->
  • West Resort Creek
    Henry Corbin, rancher, named the creek. After having brought cattle from Pleasant Park and finding the hay supply exhausted, exclaimed, "This is the last resort!" Maps: Pine, 1965 (1985); Platte...More->
  • Westridge Elementary School
    Located four blocks west of Kipling and one block north of Bowles, this school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It opened in 1987 and was named for the subdivision in which it is lo...More->
  • Westridge Sanitation District
    The name is derived from the location "in the west part of the city." The district serves the area west of the Wheat Ridge Sanitation District territory, from Garrison Street to Youngfield, south of ...More->
  • West School
    West School was so named because it was on the west side of District No. 25. It later was named Semper School, 1887-1897, was removed from District No. 25 and became District No. 39, the District to ...More->
  • West Street
    Being east of East Street at the east end of Golden, this street was presumably named for William West, famed early manager of the Golden Smelting Works overlooking this thoroughfare. This street was...More->
  • West Street
    Only a block or so in total length, West Street was the westernmost street on historic Golden plats of the 19th century, platted along with the Golden City Mineral & Land Company's Addition. It was p...More->
  • West Tree Park
    West Tree Park was funded by the City Bond Referendum in 1974. It is a small playground for children in an open area covered with blue grass....More->
  • West Woods Golf Course
    In the planning stages since the early 1980s, the property for West Woods Golf Course was annexed into the City of Arvada in 1991. Jefferson County Open Space funds were used to acquire 150 acres for ...More->
  • Wheat Ridge
    Named same as community. Third District #8 school, 8-room, 2-story brick building opened November 1889. On the same site as the second Everett School, which was moved to 8900 W. 38th. Private Residenc...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Blacksmith Shop & Garage
    This business was the updating and maturing of Hiveley's Blacksmith's Shop. It occupied a new brick building that included enlarged space for a grocery store and later a hardware store. The forge st...More->
  • Wheat Ridge - City
    The city was incorporated and was without funds until tax incomes were established. The first city offices were in the basement of a Savings and Loan Building at this location, Office equipment was me...More->
  • Wheat Ridge City Building
    Built in 1977-1978 with solar heat site from John Olson farm. Artesian well served the area in the 1920s and 1930s. Now the landscaped fountain park is called Hayward Park for owners of the property i...More->
  • Wheat Ridge - Community
    The community of Wheat Ridge dates to 1860. The Prospect Trail to Golden and the gold mining area to the west crossed through the area. The travelers went on the trail through the ridges of wheat and ...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Community Center
    This center began and progressed from a humble beginning of an idea in 1973 at the Wheat Ridge Congregational Church to the Wheat Ridge Methodist Church to the Anderson Building of the Parks Departmen...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Elementary
    Built 1950-1951. Wheat Ridge School District #8 $300,000 bond. Name changed to Reed Street Elementary. The third name for the school honored Paul C. Stevens former Wheat Ridge principal and Superinten...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Evangelical Lutheran
    Outgrowth of Lutheran Sanitarium (medical center). Name is self explanatory. Organized in 1954. Building dedicated on November 20, 1954. "Focus on children", had school K-6, closed 1975 but has weekly...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Farm Dairy
    Brothers Robert and Steve Burry bought the Bank Farm Ranch in 1904 and established their dairy wholesaling milk. In 1939, they built a retail store in the Art-Deco style. It became well-known for...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Fire Station #1
    This is the third location of the Wheat Ridge Fire Dept. In 1926 a chemical fire truck was purchased with funds by popular subscription following a devastating fire at 7390 W 38th Ave. The Arvada Chem...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Grange Hall
    Wheat Ridge Grange, Patrons of Husbandry #155 is the oldest service organization in Wheat Ridge. It was organized March 29, 1907, and met in the District #8 Wheat Ridge School. In 1913, the Grange ...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Greenbelt
    The city began development of the greenbelt in 1970. Several parks are adjacent along the way. The natural environment with wildlife and fishing and multiple use paths make this a widely used asset....More->
  • Wheat Ridge Heights Church of Christ
    Name due to it's location and denomination. Organized in 1950, met at Jefferson High School. Building dedicated January 7, 1961. Now home of Sons of Italy (not a church)....More->
  • Wheat Ridge High School
    Jefferson County District R-1, built 1958-1959. Original high school 7101 W. 38th. Addition and remodeling have been made....More->
  • Wheat Ridge Historic Park
    This is the site of the Sod House, Coulehan-Johnson Cabin, First Wheat Ridge Post Office Building, the Wheat Ridge Museum, and the Tool Shed. The early records show a land grant to a New Mexico volunt...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Junior High School
    Name same as community. 1925, 1926, 1927, school years a junior high was established in 4 second story rooms of "new" 1924 elementary building for grades 7 and 8. (Grades 9-12 high school). Moved into...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Library
    In the 1940s under the auspices of the PTA and District #7 Schools a Wheat Ridge Youth Council was organized to provide summer activities for children and youth. This included a summer library at the ...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Methodist Church
    Built 1884 (now a garage) lots donated by Henry Lee. Congregation organized in 1874, met in Everett School at 38th and Teller. Moved to 38th and Wadsworth in 1931. Demolished in 1989. The present br...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Middle School
    In 1924, Wheat Ridge School District No. 8 built a two-story brick building with a full basement immediately west of the structure that until then, had housed all grades one through twelve. 1n 1924-...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Park & Anderson Building
    City park and recreation center 1974 building, 1978 city office. Anderson Building named in honor of first Mayor A.E. Anderson. This is a recreation center with gym, lockers, showers. Outdoor pool, ba...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Post Office
    The Wheat Ridge community had talked for several years about applying for a Post Office. Since 1892 the area had been included in the Edgewater Post Office Rural Service that served most of eastern ...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Post Office
    Red brick building 18' x 30' owned and built by Fred Bunger who was the first Post Master 1913-1922. Building became a commercial small business facility for varied enterprises. In 1941 Bailey’s Barbe...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Post Office (fourth)
    Fourth location of Wheat Ridge Post Office. Pete Ricci was the owner-builder. When Post Office moved to 4210 Wadsworth Blvd. This site was occupied by various small businesses....More->
  • Wheat Ridge Post Office (second)
    The second location of the Wheat Ridge Post Office, a frame building. Owner-builder was Mrs. nancy Holley. When the post office was moved to 7100 W. 38th Ave. this building served as a small commercia...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Post Office (third)
    Owner-builder George Hively. This was the third location for the Wheat Ridge Post Office. When the Post Office was moved to 3810 Pierce Street the building became site of various small businesses....More->
  • Wheatridge Sanitation District
    In 1923 Lutheran Sanitarium installed a sewer line on West 38th Avenue from 8300 east to Wadsworth Boulevard, north of Wadsworth to Clear Creek where the untreated sewage was emptied. Wheatridge Scho...More->
  • Wheat Ridge School District #8
    On May 16, 1867, Wheat Ridge School District #8 was organized at a meeting held in the home of Martin E. Everett, which is now 7180 W. 35th Avenue. Everett had initiated the meeting and with other o...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Senior High
    In 1885 Golden High School was established and was the only public high school in the county until 1896 when Wheat Ridge (and Arvada) added ninth grade courses. The following three years, 1897-1900, ...More->
  • Wheat Ridge United Methodist Church
    In September 1873, Reverend R.H. Rhoads, a licensed Methodist minister and skilled carpenter, completed the supervision of the construction of a new school on Prospect Avenue (West 38th Avenue). T...More->
  • Wheat Ridge Water District
    The early farmers and gardeners dug their individual wells for domestic use with some using windmills and storage tanks. By the 1920s there were several artisan wells; i.e. 8300 West 38th Avenue, Gra...More->
  • White Ash Coal Mining Company
    May 1877, the White Ash Coal Mine shaft was down to 300 feet and 70 tons of coal taken out during the month. Opened by D.R. Hall and Al Jones. 1879 W.S. Wells purchased an interest and Hall retired....More->
  • White Ash Mountain Memorial
    A red granite marker is the gravestone for ten minors entombed in the White Ash Coal Mine. The White Ash Coal Mine was tunneled under Clear Creek. September 9, 1889, the mine collapsed and smothered...More->
  • White Gap Quarry
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Whitehead, Edwin K. House
    This was the first building constructed in Lakeside re-subdivision in 1889 following the replatting of the area north of W. 28th Avenue. Built c. 1911, it is a 1-1/2 story wood frame building with s...More->
  • Whitehead House
    This house was built in 1874, and the original owner was W.H. Whitehead. This Italianate style house was built as a single family house and features a hipped roof, brick construction, thin arched win...More->
  • Wide Horizons Sanitarium
    The name is appropriate to the location and the philosophy of the institution as a Christian Science Sanitarium. What is now the tea room was originally the Yousee House, built in the early 1900s. Thi...More->
  • Wiebelt Business Block
    Theodore and Elizabeth (Stocke) Wiebelt came to Arvada from Colorado Springs in 1902. He engaged Louis Zeller to build a two-story, brick building. Here he operated a pool hall and barber shop on the ...More->
  • Wight/Starkweather House
    Joseph Wight was Lakewood's first postmaster. He purchased 160 acres in February 1870 where he built his home. Herbert Starkweather, a retired miner, purchased the property in 1915. He renovated the h...More->
  • Wigwam Club
    This private fishing club is called by some "The Millionaires Club" and is popular for the abundance of "catch" from the South Platte River, on which it is located. It was probably named for the Wigwa...More->
  • Wigwam Ranch/Flying 'G' Ranch
    Located on the Girl Scouts Flying "G" Ranch, the 1886 structure is 1 1/2-story, hand-hewn square logs with mud chinking. Attached is a one-story shed room with an attached one-story room. Origina...More->
  • Wildcat Gulch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Wildcat Point
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Wild Flower Mine
    Perhaps named for the blooms near-by, this mine is said to have operated late in the 1890s....More->
  • Wild Rose Grange #160
    Wild Rose Grange #160 was organized in 1907 in the A.W. Ralph home in Spruce Lodge. Ralph, first Master of the Grange named it "Wild Rose" for the numerous wild roses in the area. In 1908 the grang...More->
  • Wilds Peak
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Wilkerson House
    Built in 1872, this log, stone and frame house was sold by John H. Morrison to David H. Moffat, Jr., in November 1878....More->
  • Williams House
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Willow Springs General Store
    This two-story, 600 sq. ft. on each floor, brick structure was built in 1905 by Fred and DeLance Yousse. One of the earliest commercial buildings in what was then called Fruitdale, it started on a ...More->
  • Wilmore Dahlia Gardens 'Dahlmore'
    William Wallace Wilmore was born in Laurel, Maryland, in 1861. The family moved to Colorado in 1873 and lived in Valverde, gardening and selling their produce in the city. Seven years later they m...More->
  • Wilmore-Davis Elementary
    Named for W.W. Wilmore and R.T. Davis families of "Dahlmore", Wilmore Dahlia Farm and nurseries and Davis Brothers Florists. W.W. Wilmore was a long-time board member of District #8. Playground part o...More->
  • Wilmot Creek
    Wilmot Creek begins on the north shoulder of Evergreen Mountain and flows generally east and northeast, between Wilmot Elementary School and Evergreen High School, and empties into Evergreen Lake. N...More->
  • Wilson Clay Mine
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Wilson House
    Major William H. Wilson's two-story, frame house and barn were built in 1889. After Major Wilson died, the Arvada house was sold to Mary Moore. Later Thomas Yeager bought the house and turned the barn...More->
  • Windy Peak Cemetery
    This was a private family plot with the graves of the Boegel and Maxwell families. No recent internments, but maintained by the property owner....More->
  • Windy Point
    A curve around a rocky point on U.S. Highway 285 marked by a highway information sign three miles east of Aspen Park. Name geographical and descriptive....More->
  • Windy Saddle
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Windy Saddle Park
    Jefferson County Open Space purchased 457.8 acres from Joe Myer, owner of Myer Hardware of Golden, the Ramstetter family, the Browne Estate, and the Bunzel property in 1993. Chimney Gulch Trail was i...More->
  • Witt Elementary School
    This R-l District School was built in 1981. It was named for Lester A. Witt who began his teaching career in 1933 at Bear Creek High School. The following year he was made superintendent of the Bear C...More->
  • Wolff Ditch
    Located in Water District #7, its earliest priority dates from July 5, 1862. Water diverted from Clear Creek via south bank of Slough Ditch. Claimant in 1884 was Albert Wolff, son of an early settler,...More->
  • Wolff Elementary School
    Wolff Elementary School was in District No. 2, Vasquez Township. It was the first school in the Arvada area, was organized on the Wolff property in November, 1863 and was destroyed by fire in 1864....More->
  • Wolff North Ditch
    Located in Water District #7, its priority dates from July 5, 1862. Water is diverted from Clear Creek via north bank of Slough Ditch. Claimant in 1884 was Albert Wolff....More->
  • Woman Creek
    This creek in years past has been called "Old Woman Creek" according to long-time local residents, but no one knows why....More->
  • Woman Creek Stock Pond
    The late 19th-century stock pond along Woman Creek is in good condition structurally. The berm on the eastern end of the stock pond has been reinforced with grey gravel. All that remains of the bui...More->
  • Woodbine Mine
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Woodrun Park
    Woodrun Park funds were approved in 1985. At this time the 9.3-acre development was to be another school-park arrangement. After the adoption of Capital Improvement Program, there was a strong possibi...More->
  • Woods Mortuary
    The Woods Mortuary building is one of the oldest historical buildings on Washington Avenue, and it represents Golden's early commercial developments. The original owner may have been Elmus Smith. In...More->
  • Word of Life Free Methodist Motel
    Name is states the aim of the church. Organized in July, 1980 at Rev. Tom Duckworth's home. Met there 3 months, outgrew the space and moved to Ramada Inn. In 1991 still meet there. Emphasis is "Relati...More->
  • Yale Station
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Yegge Peak
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Ye Olde Firehouse
    This is now a small community building available by appointment for meetings and some regularly scheduled activities. It is a unit of the Wheat Ridge Parks and Recreation Department. The original bu...More->
  • YMCA Park
    This park has a playground, baseball field, walking trails, picnic facilities and open play area. To use the picnic facilities, you need to reserve a date and time at the "Y"....More->
  • Young Sampson Mine
    Operated by J.J. Bradshaw and Company in 1876 showed a vein of galena ore varying from 18 inches to 30 inches in thickness, sometimes as much as 11 feet thick....More->
  • Youth Memorial Park
    Youth Memorial Park property was purchased from Elmer and Donna Werth with Open Space funds, and leased to North Jeffco for 99 years. When this area, including the Werth's 30 acres, was annexed to the...More->
  • Z Bar D Ranch
    A working ranch, homesteaded in the 1870s. President Dwight D. Eisenhower fished the river that flows through the ranch, which was owned by his friend, Val Swan of Denver....More->
  • Zeise Peaks
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Zerger Elementary School
    This school was built in 1977 and named for Carl R. Zerger, who was an outstanding educator in Jefferson County Schools from 1952-1976....More->

Send questions or comments about this Web Site to Planning and Zoning.